Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Existential Crisis #9

As much as it pains me to admit it, my "Perfectly Wondrous and Utterly Amazing Life in Africa" is experiencing a small melancholic hiccup. I'm actually quite low. Midterms are here, and I have a perfectly dreadful amount of work to do (especially since the half-the-page-minimum-experimental-feminist essays I write in Santa Cruz won't fly here). Just so we're clear, I'm of the mind that there'll Always be that figurative midterm coming up, and I won't live my life waiting till I can enjoy it. But the problem is, it's not just normal stress that's got me down. For the first time in my existence, I'm on my own. There's nothing grounding me here.


"It is so easy to become lost and depressed when you have nothing to grab onto that relates to your whole life: your family, friends, places you know, things you usually do. It can really destroy your sense of who you are without all those things. What is left, who am I, really, without all those external things that I associate with myself?" - my Dad*


*I love my Dad

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gina! I'm here with Natalie, Nari, and Julia at Nattie's house. We all send our love and support via transcontinental thought waves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel; for the past two summers, I miss everyone especially keenly during Solstice, when everyone in Santa Barbara dresses up together to celebrate a one of a kind Santa Barbara tradition. That really makes me miss home, and I think of the fun we had that time when we basically volunteered ourselves as manual labor to push that ridiculously large star down State and listened to the first segment of You're a Rockstar on repeat.
    Dude, miss you. :)

    ReplyDelete